178 million bags of salad are wasted per year in the UK, it is the fifth most wasted food in the UK, a lot because of the speed it needs to be used up once opened especially bags of salad. Even when salad doesn’t look fresh and you might not want to eat it in a fresh salad, it is perfect for things such as stir fry’s and this delicious and nutritious soup recipe.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup diced (1/3 inch) peeled potato
- 8 cups coarsely chopped lettuce leaves including ribs (3/4 lb)
- 3 cups water
- Cook onion mixture and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in potato, lettuce, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and transfer to a saucepan.
- Bring soup to a simmer, then whisk in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
By Katie Clubb